How Can Comedy Films Make Us Laugh? Find Out Here
Watching a movie can be therapeutic for many of us. After a hard day at work or a hectic schedule for a week, we all want to just sit back and relax and watch a good movie. One of the most preferred is comedy films. Either you watch at a movie theater, alone or with friends, or maybe just stream movies online from reputable websites like couchtuner.
No matter what your reasons are to watch a good film, or where you decide to watch it, you should know more about the comedy film genre and how it can make all of us feel better. So here are the things that you should know about comedy films.
What Are Comedy Films?
Comedy movies are considered as “make ‘em laugh” films that are specifically designed to make the audience and viewers laugh. They can be of any theme or setup that are made to provoke entertainment and laughter. Most of the time, the comedy genre use exaggerated humor or situation, language, action, and characters. The scenes and characters are usually relatable which they make as light-hearted dramas. These movies have happy endings even though sometimes the humor has a serious note to it.
Comedy Formats And Subgenres
Comedies come in two formats – comedian-led and situation comedies. Comedian led are usually with gags, jokes, and sketches, whereas situation comedy is usually shown with a narrative. In movies, both of these formats appear together, or sometimes, they overlap. Comedy hybrids usually exist with other major genres like musical-comedy, comedy-thriller, or horror-comedy.
Comedies are also classified in different subgenres such as the following:
- Sports comedy
- Crime or caper comedy
- Teen comedy
- Gross-out comedy
- “Fish out of water” comedy
- Social Class comedy
- Military comedy
Different Types Of Comedy
Like other movie genres, comedy also comes in different types. If you love comedy films, then you should know more about these types. Most of them you probably already encountered in the past films that you’ve watched.
- This was very common in the early ‘silent films.’ They do not need to make any sound to make you laugh. They were also very popular with non-English speaking viewers.
- These films were more on the expression-less face or what we call ‘stoic comedy’ that was popularized by Buster Keaton, the stoic comic hero.
- Verbal Comedy. This is often used in our daily interactions which is why it is one of the most popular types of comedy. These films are a way to help viewers relax but not to take any of these exchanges personally or even seriously.
- This continues to be one of the common sub-genre of romantic comedy movies. This characterizes craziness, ridiculousness, and even erratic yet funny behavior.
- Black or Dark. Commonly known to be dark and sarcastic humor stories.
- Spoof or Parody. Very popular even up to this day which was started by the Marx Brothers in the early 30s.
The comedy genre in movies has come a long way. It’s a huge genre that you will surely never get tired of. So what are you waiting for? If you want to feel light-hearted, and want a good laugh after a long day, sit back, relax, and stream comedy movies online.